Christmas Lantern
Arts & Crafts Activity

Wednesday, November 14, 2012
This holiday season, I am so house proud! We have such wonderful Christmas items, some handmade, some bought, that we are displaying proudly throughout our home. I am the type who has a particular love for vintage Christmas decorations. Most holidays accents are quite cute but I have a soft spot for the non-commercial, deeply traditional ornaments. To me, they hold the true beauty and essence of Christmas and everything we know of it.

Your little ones will particularly enjoy themselves with this arts and crafts because it will allow them to express and develop their creative side and turn the lantern into a reflection of themselves. They will be proud to be able to display their chef-d'oeuvre in the house or offer it as a gift to a family member or their favourite teacher.

What you will need
  • A small glass jar (Mason jar, jam jar, sauce jar, etc.) 
  • Modge Podge glossy 
  • Scissors 
  • Paper napkins, wrapping paper, tissue, etc., themed Christmas 
  • Stickers 
  • Soft small brush 
  • Small candle or LED tea light

How to make it

  • Select the pattern, picture or design that you would like to apply onto your lantern and cut it out. 
  • Spread a thin layer of glue with a brush on the desired area on your jar. 
  • Carefully, position your picture or sticker on glued area, taking care not to tear it. Make sure to put the colored part facing the outside. 
  • Remove any air bubbles by delicately passing your finger above your motif. 
  • Repeat these steps for all other motifs you would like to apply. 
  • Once the glue is dry, gently apply varnish over the entire surface of your motifs. 
  • Allow to dry. 
  • Insert your candle or tea light inside the lantern. 

And there, you have achieved a nice simple decor that will shine a thousand lights during the holidays!
 
Happy Holidays!


Photobucket



24 Fabulous Comments:

Mudpiesandtiaras said...

Love it! I pinned it!

Unknown said...

What a great craft to do with the kids. I love that it helps promote their creativity while they have fun!

Mrs. Stephens said...

That's a great craft idea. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to start doing some of these with the kids.

Dusty (To the Moon and Back) said...

So cute! I'm pinning it to my Christmas unit board. Thanks for sharing!

Annabelle said...

My daughter did this at school for Thanksgiving, and I wondered how it was done. I'm excited to try this with her at home!

Rachel @ The Philosophers Wife said...

Super cute! My little one might still be too young for this, but I love it!

Sofia @ From PDX with Love said...

So simple yet so cool!!! My boys would love to give this a try!! And I have quite a collection of jars to use!!

Unknown said...

That is soo cute! My boys would have fun making that =]

Unknown said...

Oh my I use modge podge for everything! Very cute!

shelly said...

That is a cute idea! I just need some jars.

Happy Gardening, Kim said...

Got some modge podge in a swag bag this past weekend...think I'll use it now! Thanks!!

Sheila said...

I like it. im sure my kids would enjoy this simple art craft. i don't have all the materials needed for now but will try this out definitely. Thanks for sharing

Wren said...

This is such a neat idea! I may have to try this with my daughter soon. So many neat things to do for the Holidays!

Tesa @ 2 Wired 2 Tired said...

What a neat idea! My kids would love to make this.

OurHopeIsInTheLord said...

I love this, thanks for sharing:)

Icar said...

I love everything that is handmade and personalized. Thsi is also a good activity if you have kids at home, not for me yet since mine is a toddler maybe next year =)

Carole said...

Lovely lantern. In a couple of weeks Food on Friday is going to be collecting links for Christmas favourites - which could include non food items as well as christmas foods. Cheers

PS A big thank you for following Carole's Chatter

Michele Clarke said...

So cute! My son loves working with mod podge and painting glass.

Unknown said...

what a beautiful project!

Colette S said...

Ahh if only I was crafty!

I love this though and I pinned it. Hope you don't mind?

Sabz said...

i'm not a very crafty person but this is so cute!!

new follower from super sunday sync!
would love a follow back ;)
http://www.theeclecticgrabbag.com

Helene said...

oh soo neat! love it!

Helene in Between

Carrie said...

Oh, I love it!! I am like you and love the homemade ornaments. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! And congratulations on being most clicked and thus featured!

Marti @ SewLicious Home Decor said...

This is so cute, I love jar crafts. Thank you for linking this up at SHOW-licious Craft Showcase! :)

http://sew-licious.blogspot.com/2012/11/show-licious-craft-showcase-9-blog-party.html

Marti

Post a Comment